Wednesday, 25 January 2017

Learning To Live Intentionally




The past three days are what I would describe as average.  I didn't do anything out of my usual norm, my work was the same routine it is at the start of any week, I had little errands and housework jobs I had to do in my evenings.  I was living my normal, every day life.  I've been getting up for work, doing my Bible study, going about my day, completing whatever is on my to do list for that evening, writing in my prayer journal, then heading to bed. 

I didn't think anything of it until I read Psalm 16 this morning and verse eight stood out to me:

"I keep my eyes always on the Lord,
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken"
(NIV)

I keep my eyes always on the Lord.  Always.  It's safe to say that always isn't the case for me, to be honest I'm lucky if I'm able to stay focused on God for more than five minutes during my day.  I allow myself to be swept up in the goings on of my life, even though their not all that exciting I allow my mind and my heart to be distracted by the various tasks I set for myself during my day. 

I very rarely set out my day with an intentional heart that is seeking to serve God in everything.  When I'm washing potatoes, or cleaning the dining area, or making cups of tea I never tend to think of it as a way in which I can serve Jesus. 

And this is where I'm making a very big mistake. 




I make time for God in the morning and before I go to sleep, but what about the rest of my day?  How can I grow in my faith and grow closer to God if I'm not living every part of my day for Him?

Since I'm not living my every day life for Jesus, it's making it very difficult for me to live my every day life with Jesus.  Even though I am currently facing a season where discontentment is creeping in and God needs me to be patient, this isn't an excuse to let Jesus slip from the centre of my heart and from my daily routine. 

I may find some tasks to be boring or mundane, but that doesn't mean I still can't do it with a heart for Jesus.  Instead of asking "how quickly can I get this finished and move onto my next task?" I should be asking "how can I do this with a heart for serving Jesus?" 

Jesus tells us in the gospel of Matthew to "love God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind".   This isn't something that Jesus asks us to do, he commands us to do this.  And if I'm not doing this for Him then there's no wonder I'm struggling to live intentionally for Him, feeling grumpy for no reason, and slowly letting my heart be distant from God. 

Rather than just busying about my day I need to take a step back, slow down, and see how I an be fixing my eyes on God and living with a heart that wants to serve Him and love Him in everything I do.  Living with an intentionality for God in every moment of the day, not just for my Bible study in the mornings. 


Carolyn 
x




SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig